RECIPE: EASY & CUSTOMIZABLE OVERNIGHT OATS FOR BREAKFAST
Overnight oats are one of my go-to-favourites for the perfect hearty, fast, and nutritious breakfast idea. It is so easy to make (literally takes 5 minutes), requires minimal effort and no cooking experience, and the flavour combinations are endless!
PREP TIME: 5 mins
- ½ cup oats: Steel cut oats (if you prefer hard & chewy oats), Rolled oats (my preference), Quick oats (if you prefer mushy oats)
- ½ cup of liquid: Water, Soy milk, Almond milk, Coconut milk, etc.
- 1 tsp of chia seeds: Optional; Adding chia seeds creates a thick, pudding-like consistency and is a great source of protein & fibre!
- 1 tsp of sweetener: Honey, Maple syrup, etc.
OTHER INGREDIENTS TO CONSIDER:
- Whole or chopped nuts: Walnuts, pecans, pistachios, peanuts, etc.
- Nut butters: Almond butter, Cashew butter, Sunflower butter, Peanut butter, Hazelnut butter, Pecan butter, Pistachio butter, etc.
- Seeds: Pumpkin seeds, Sunflower seeds, Sesame seeds, Grounded flax seeds, etc.
- Spices: Ginger powder, Cinnamon powder, Cardamom powder, Nutmeg powder, etc.
- Extra protein: Protein powder, Greek or vegan yoghurt, Hemp hearts, etc.
- Fruits: Frozen or fresh chopped fruits (e.g., Apples, Bananas, Strawberries, Blueberries, Blackberries, Raspberries, Cherries, Pineapple, Mango, Peach, etc), Dried fruit (e.g., Unsweetened coconut flakes, Apricots, Raisins, Figs, Dates, Prunes, etc.)
- Other: Vanilla extract, Pinch of salt, Shaved dark chocolate, etc.
- Combine base ingredients with other ingredients of your choice and mix well.
- Seal in an air-tight bowl or jar.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Serve cold or hot (microwave before eating).
- Garnish with more fresh fruit or nuts if desired.
- The measurements are flexible. If you like thicker oats, add less liquid. If you like runny oats, add more liquid. Not a fan of sweeteners? Don’t add any! Love blueberries? Add more! Just use what you have and love to eat. This is why overnight oats are so versatile!
- During the colder months, consider adding warming spices as mentioned above. It also aids in digestion!
- Some classic combinations to try: Strawberries & Bananas, Chocolate chip & Peanut butter, Peanut butter & jelly, and Mixed berries.